[Gllug] joining a wireless LAN

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Sep 13 21:09:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 20:20, john gennard wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 Ian Norton wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 16:33, john gennard wrote:
> >> Will someone please assist....., so a step by step explanation would,
> >> if possible be much appreciated.
> >Relax, it is pretty easy :-)
> >firstly, has your wifi card loaded its driver? , ie can you do
> >'iwconfig' and see the device,
>
> >second, you need to know the ESSID (wlan name) of your friend, and if
> >they are using Ad-Hoc or Managed mode.
>
> >if you have your card appearing fine in iwconfig, as say eth0, then this
> >should associate you with the network.
>
> ># iwconfig eth0 mode Managed enc off essid MyFriend
> ># pump
>
> >Ian
>
> Sorry to revert to this, but I've been unable to get
> anywhere by my own efforts.
>
> The problem is that I cannot get either Sarge or Sid to see
> my Belkin Adaptor. The nearest truly relevant reference I've
> yet found is in the November 2002 edition of Linux Magazine,
> and even this is specific to SuSE 7.3.
>
> I have tried booting Knoppix 3.4 and loading what I believe
> to be the correct driver, but even there I get nowhere.
>
> How do I get the Adaptor to be recognised?
>
> Please help if possible.
>
> John.

Hiya,

This i guess then is a driver issue, chances are, as your device is USB,
is that it is an ATMEL at76c803 (or somthing,) device, there is a driver
for these devices here :-

http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

if you look at the last lines of 'dmesg' or use usbview you should be
able to find the manfid and device id of the device,

if you install the usb tools, then using lsusb will show you something
like this)

 bredroll at orion:~$ lsusb
 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04dd:8004 Sharp Corp. Zaurus SL-5000D/SL-5500 PDA
 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
 Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:001c Microsoft Corp.

The two 4 char numbers in the middle are the device/manufaturer ID, here
you can see my Zaurus PDA as 04dd (sharp): 8004 (zaurus collie), and my
keyboard as 045e(microshaft): 001c(usb hub).

using these numbers you should be able to find a driver for your device.

Ian