[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Fri Sep 17 21:45:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:48 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:42, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > > I've never used Knoppix, so I don't know whether this is an available
> > > feature of the installer.
> >
> > It is.  One of the options is to write a single file to the local HD
> > which is then used as a loopback device.
>
> I have blue-skyed ideas about carrying around a Knoppix on a USB stick,
> so you could use a public PC anywhere (say at a conference or branch
> office). This is how 'twould be done.

Except unfortunately many PCs refuse to boot from USB as of now, unless
the motherboards are very recent and even then it is not to be taken for
granted. I am still carrying around my custom Debian on 128 MB USB stick
meant for debootstrapping new server blades without cdrom, but with
mixed results.

Less than half machines I came by could do it, so if I want to get the
deed done, netboot mini cd is still my way to go. This gets very
uncomfortable if the machine doesn't have the drive, of course (more
space for hdds).

--

Jan Kokoska

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk