[Gllug] HIGHMEM

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 19:15:17 UTC 2004

Russell Howe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:52:19PM +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>
>>initrd (initial ramdisk) loads a ramdisk containing modules and some other
>>stuff at the same time as the kernel using lilo or grub. This then insmods
>>these modules allowing the hardware to be accessed for the rest of the boot
>>process and beyond.
>

> I don't really see the benefit though for a single system, if you're
> building a custom kernel anyway, and the kernel's likely to change at
> least as frequently as the hardware...

No, initrds are mostly to make installers' jobs easier - it wouldn't
really be a good idea to compile a custom kernel during an install:)

If root is in LVM you do need an initrd as userspace commands such as
vgscan and vgchange have to be issued. At least, this is true with 2.4
and LVM1, I think it still is with 2.6 and LVM2.

But I'm not convinced of the value of putting root in LVM.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk