[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Nick Richards nick.richards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 10:19:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:58:11 +0100, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:04:19 +0100, Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
> >
> > >You really want to run a server based on a distro aimed at the desktop?
> > >Is Fedora even considered non-beta yet?
> >
> > Yes. Please stop your trolling. We all know you prefer Debian. But that's
> > no reason to spread FUD about other perfectly fine distributions.
>
> It's a fair point.  Fedora is unashamedly bleeding edge, and would not
> be an obvious choice for a production server.  In this respect,
> perhaps a fair answer would be that SUSE would probably be a more
> production ready and stable choice.

I'd agree with that. Whilst Fedora makes a marvelous desktop, and one
I use myself, for a server (and only with those two options available)
I'd go for SUSE (Pro). Although Fedora does have some very good
integration with Tomcat and Postgres I'd probably go for SUSE longer
support lifetime.

But seriously for a server take a look at Debian and its relatives.
I'm particularly enjoying Ubuntu at the moment.

http://ubuntulinux.org

Nick
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk