[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 21 16:41:23 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 21 Sep 2004 11:19, Nick Richards wrote:

> I'd agree with that. Whilst Fedora makes a marvelous desktop, and one
> I use myself, for a server (and only with those two options available)
> I'd go for SUSE (Pro). Although Fedora does have some very good
> integration with Tomcat and Postgres I'd probably go for SUSE longer
> support lifetime.
>
> But seriously for a server take a look at Debian and its relatives.
> I'm particularly enjoying Ubuntu at the moment.

But surely the question is whether you need a desktop/distribution/gui-based
machine at all if it's a server. Couldn't you just build up from the kernel,
adding the necessary components, then shut it away somewhere doing its stuff
without a keyboard or monitor? Put in the minimum amount, and there's less to
go wrong.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk