[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

FORSTER, David david.forster at mfi.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 15:21:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 Jim Bailey wrote:
> > > As someone currently teaching Debian to the technically incompetent I
am
> > > not impressed with Linux usability as a desktop and even less
impressed
> > > with Debian docs/site.
> >
> > Ask for a refund :)
>
> Typical of the ghetto mentality endemic in Linux,  It is a testiment to
> my students commitment to Software Libre that they haven't installed
> Windows and started leeching warez.
>
> Peace Jim

In fairness, the existence of the emoticon in that email suggests that the
comment was meant in good humour. Indeed, I and my colleagues found it quite
funny.

IMHO, Debian is probably not the best choice of distribution to teach to a
"technically incompetent" user, especially if desktop usability is one of
your main requirements. Coming to Linux from a Windows
development/administration background I found Debian difficult to get to
grips with. Perhaps a different, more user/newbie oriented distribution such
as Mandrake or SUSE would be better to start with?

Regards,
David.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of MFI Furniture Group PLC or its
associated companies.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk