[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 05:55:39 UTC 2004

> IMHO, Debian is probably not the best choice of distribution to teach to a
> "technically incompetent" user, especially if desktop usability is one of
> your main requirements. Coming to Linux from a Windows
> development/administration background I found Debian difficult to get to
> grips with. Perhaps a different, more user/newbie oriented distribution such
> as Mandrake or SUSE would be better to start with?

I really don't buy this false dichotomoy.  Come out of the 90s!  I did
a base install of debian, and apt-get installed gnome2, gaim and
openoffice for my partner and didn't even show her how to use it
beyond telling her her username and password.

She had absolutely no experience at all of any OS other than windows
and in less than a day learned how to use it herself with no
difficulty at all.  Several months later she is now very proficient on
the desktop, and finds it more intuitive than windows.

> Regards,
> David.

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk