[Gllug] Gnome Vs Kde Vs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 18:23:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Tethys yowled:

> Nix writes:
>
>>I've always used fvwm2 :) I tried to switch to sawfish, but never
>>finished the transition, and now that sawfish is (sob!) de facto dead
>>(rumour says, thanks to Apple telling its author to stop working on it
>>if he wanted to work for them), I have no decent wm to switch to,
>>so I stick with horrible old fvwm.
>
> fvwm horrible? I'd have to disagree. I've tried most of the alternatives,

I was actually thinking of the config language, which is more than slightly
rebarbative.

It does the job, though, and very well indeed.

> But if you're really intent of a lisp based wm, there are alternatives

I'm intent on a Lisp based *everything*.

> to sawfish. That said, they all seem to be in an essentially unmaintained
> state, apart from stumpwm, which is... errr... minimalist!

Yes, exactly.

There's also an Emacs window manager, `xwem', which is sporadically
maintained. It looks like when it matures it'll be *excellent*.

> 	http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/
> 	http://koala.ilog.fr/gwm/

Thanks, I hadn't encountered these two before.

--
`The copyright file is for everyone.  That we make it available in
 plain-text, uncompressed form rather than in spinning, throbbing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk