[Gllug] re: my mail client

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 09:34:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:02, t.clarke wrote:
> From:  Tim Clarke  SEACON GROUP LTD, Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, da11 9BD
>
> The mail programs do actually support threading on replies, but the specific
> problem with Gllug emails is that they are accumulated on the system into a
> periodic 'digest' and read with a 'showfile' utility as and when.  This is
> why you will quite often see posts from me that may be a bit 'belated' on the
> given subject.  I have to post a 'reply' by extracting with an editor the
> portion of the digest and then sending it off as a standalone email. Hence
> the lack of threading.  I do try and include a subject line which indicates
> hopefully what the post relates to, for those who might like to ignore posts
> on subjects of no interest.

What are the benefits of the daily digest? (clearly apart from less
header overhead) would not individual emails negate the need for the
showfile and editor trickery? or is the problem relating to how your
email gets stored and sorted? (you dont want millions of gllug mails in
one inbox with everythin else)

Ian