[Gllug] running MacOS 9 software on Linux

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 11:27:42 UTC 2004

On 24 Sep 2004, at 11:15, J F wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is there a project similar to Wine to run Mac OS 9 (or even OS X) apps
> on Linux, on a Mac?
>
> Also, can anyone suggest a Mac Linux distro or live CD?
>
> Thanks

There is a live knoppix based cd - Knoppix-MIB (whih comes in two
flavours - x86 and ppc). Tried it once and it worked on a g3 imac.
Can't find the URL - google is your friend.

There's the mac-on-linux project, which allows you to run OS9 and X on
top of linux - that's more like virtual pc than WINE. Although there's
alot of activity in the emulation area (DarWine, Bochs, PearPC) I can't
think of anything designed to run OS9 apps on *nix, whether ppc pr x86.

Recently, there's been a burst of activity on the ppc linux distro
front: Mandrake have released a 10.1. ppc alpha, there's Gentoo, Debian
(inc Ubuntu), Yellow Dog and Crux ppc.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk