[Gllug] Viable back-up solutions for gigabytes?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Sep 5 08:01:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 06:07:50PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>
> >* Cheap (media and drive).
> >

> Cheap is a relative term.  You'll pay the thick end of £1000 for a
> decent DLT drive. However, if you did lose all your photos, would it
> cost you more or less than £1000 to replace them?

Well, in terms of me having to go to far-off exotic places to take
them again, then yes it would cost thousands.

However, what's the chance that my house burns to the ground -
1 in 100?  1 in 1000?  I have to multiply the cost of replacement
by the chance to come up with a suitable cost for the backup.

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/