[Gllug] Viable back-up solutions for gigabytes?

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 19:57:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 05:59:02PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> Ideas?  Is tape still the way to go, or should I be better off looking
> at DVD{+,-}{R,RW}?

I use DVDs at home atm, can be a bit of a pain now that my photos are taking
up over 10 gigs. Dual layer burners have just arrived and can put 9 gigs of
data on each blank (but the blanks are currently about 4 quid each!) normal
blanks are somewhere between 6-10 quid for 25. Just to try and protect against
the short lifespan of the media I tend to burn on alternate brands of discs or
burn 2 copies of the backup to each different brand of media, oh and I take a
full backup at least once a month, so in the event that all the media over 12
months old starts to fail i will have several copies to attempt recovery from.

I would like to also have a USB2.0 or Firewire external disk drive to
complement the solution, but I can't afford one :)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk