[Gllug] Courier IMAP and outlook woes

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Sep 22 10:42:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:43:42AM +0100, David wrote:
> For windows users (Which are a minority, but a very grumpy minority) its
> not such a happy situation.  Machines based in our office, generally
> work well, occasionally outlook complains it can't find the server, and
> gets in a flap, but thats bearable.  The problem is with mobile users.
>
> When they fire up outlook, it takes a very long time to check mail, and
> I suspect its downloading every message in the inbox each time it
> starts.

That should not be the case.  However, irc it does check *all* the
folders in an account no matter what you tell it.  Have you tried them
on OE as opposed to Outlook?  OE is actually the better IMAP client of
the two.

> The list of gripes are seemingly endless, but the main problems
> are with offline browsing, and downloading new mail.
>
> Is this a known problem with courier? google yields many results, but
> also an equal number with cyrus et al.

How fast are their network connections, when mobile?  IMAP is simply a
more bandwidth- and server-punishing protocol.

If they have decent connections and things are still slow, it may
actuallty be some other issue (e.g. the server trying to do reverse DNS
checks).

I would suggest trying another windows client but unfortunately Outlook
and OE are actually two of the best IMAP clients for windows, which is a
really sad thing to say.  They have no support for shared folders under
IMAP and the trash folder doesn't work but they're still much better
than Eudora (which downloads a new copy of each attachment, every time
you access a folder) and the few other options.  The best IMAP client
available for windows by far, though, is Mulberry.  Maybe you should
try it out for comparision.

http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry/

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.