[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Sep 17 16:12:16 UTC 2004

On Sep 17, 04:26, Dean wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:00:49PM +0100, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > > Ask for a refund :)
> > Typical of the ghetto mentality endemic in Linux,
>
> Could have been worse, I could have said "patches welcome" and waited
> for your contribution to help fix the problem :)

Actually I am documenting the problems and trying to get better
documentation written by themselves and myself, the eventual aim being
to feed it into the Debian-NP project and Debian its self.  If desktop
Linux is going to become widespread it needs to better than the rest,
unfortunately it isn't close yet.

Though Free OS desktop are becoming a reality in the corporate arena
where tech support is a call away.  It doesn't help with the sort of
stuff I am doing here where I can not and will not be available for
telephone support.

> > It is a testament to my students commitment to Software Libre that
> > they haven't installed Windows and started leeching warez.
>
> If Linux isn't doing what they want then making them keep at it isn't
> going to help unless they have the skills to improve things for
> themselves, in fact when they go talk to their friends and bitch about
> how X Y and Z suck it'll hurt.

I am not making them stick at anything, they came to me to learn
_Software Libre_.  They are well aware of the problems facing them and
unlike the vast majority of people on this list don't intuitively get
technology.  They do intuitively get Free bit possibly better than some
here.

> For every job a tool and a tool for every job.

Absolutely however in this case the tool needs some work before it can
really do the job it should efficiently.

Peace Jim
--
keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 I made a booboo with the conditional.