Subject: Re: [Gllug] joining a wireless LAN

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 08:49:39 UTC 2004

Message: 8 On Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 Ian Norton wrote: >> Will someone
please assist. [.....]

>Relax, it is pretty easy

>firstly, has your wifi card loaded its driver? , ie can you do
>'iwconfig' and see the device,

>second, you need to know the ESSID (wlan name) of your friend, and if
>they are using Ad-Hoc or Managed mode.

>if you have your card appearing fine in iwconfig, as say eth0, then this
>should associate you with the network.

># iwconfig eth0 mode Managed enc off essid MyFriend
># pump

>Ian

Thanks for the response, Ian.

Firstly, I don't have the 'iwconfig' command available and I can't
find which package provides it. Hence I don't know if any driver is
loaded - I doubt, however, if one is. I looked through the .config
file for the kernel and nothing relevant is obvious to me.

I have a lot of information viz,

SSID 		'Jacks Wireless Net'
BSSID		'11-22-33-44-55-66
BSS		'Infrastructure'

Encryption	'Yes'       '128 Bit'     To be entered manually

Status (when connection up in W2000)
		'Associate-BSSID: 11-22-33-44-55-66

TX Rate		'Auto'

Operating Mode	'Auto'

Both Signal Strength and Channel are shown - these I understand.

Fragmentation Threshold and RTS/CTS are both disabled.

I see a very faint glimmer of light (very faint but not as
useful as a TOC-H lamp!).

Incidently, I have a Ethernet Card in the machine - it's not
in use, but booting messages show it and the RTL module is
loaded. It was used when I built a separate box to act as a
Firewall. I may go back to using it. It was one of my more
notable successes!!

If you have the time, could you take me further with this
problem.

In haste, I have a lengthy Hospital visit today.

Regards,			John.