[Gllug] SCSI more reliable than Maxline PlusII?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 07:49:45 UTC 2004

On Fri 10 Sep, Garry Heaton wrote:

> Disregarding read/write speed and given a decent hardware RAID card, are
> SCSI disks mechanically more reliable than the best SATA disks? An assistant
> at GND (www.gnd.com) suggested Maxtor's Maxline PlusII disks are
> mechanically a fair match for SCSI.
>
> Garry

   I heard that a disadvantage of IDE was that master and slave received the
same address commands. This could cause multiple discs to search for every
address, causing excessive mechanical wear. Other suggestions were that SCSI
discs have better bearings, are assembled with greater care, and subjected
to more extensive testing. They may use semicondutors and other components
designed and manufactured to a higher "military" spec, for use under extreme
conditions. Some drives are guaranteed for very long life, but is a better
guarantee paid for by the increased price? I suspect that we may treat
explanations in the same manner as we treat government spin.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk