[Gllug] SSH filesystem?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Fri Sep 24 17:54:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:40:27AM +0100, Jack Bertram wrote:
> I often need to copy files between remote systems over which I don't
> trust NFS.  At the moment I use scp.
>
> Is there a (virtual) filesystem which does the following:
> * Allows me to "mount" a remote system on my local filesystem
> * When I use the mount point for file operations, translates
>   all calls using ssh/scp, prompting for passphrase as appropriate
>   (or using ssh-agent)
> * (Preferably) has configurable connection timeouts so that it doesn't
>   maintain an ssh session for days on end when there are no operations
>   on the mounted filesystem

Gnome-vfs inclused support for sftp, thus far it is fairly good, ssh keys are a
must (i may be wrong) and it doesnt do block access. But still it seems like it
will suit most people's needs

you might want to look at sshfs, or is it shfs.

Ian

> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk