[Gllug] Read mac address from dvb card

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Wed Sep 1 15:05:48 UTC 2004

Hi

Does anyone know a way to read MAC addresses from PCI DVB cards?

Some of the cards Im using (like hauppauge wintv nova) supply their mac
address when I load the linux-dvb driver, but others (like technisat
skystar) don't.

I can of course read the mac address in ifconfig once I have created the
network interface, but this is an arbitary mac address that I can change
when I use dvbnet to do the filtering. I want the mac address that's
unique to the card. (Yes I know I could also read the mac off the
sticker on the back of the card, only these cards are in machines in
boats floating around the Med...)

I hoped to find something in /proc, but have drawn a blank; any
suggestions are most welcome.

thanks, Julian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk