[Gllug] wiping a partition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Sep 2 14:38:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:31:33PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> I want to eliminate all the data on three large partitions to
> make way for two Debian based distros which apparently
> will not install to partitions already containing data.
>
> Some time ago, I kept an email stating how this can be done
> but now cannot find it.
>
> Will someone kindly let me know how to do this.

Erm:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/XXX bs=1024k

where XXX is replaced by something like 'hda' (make sure you're wiping
the right partition, because there's no going back once you've done
this!)

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/