[Gllug] wiping a partition

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:38:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:31:33 +0100
john gennard <joney at clara.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to eliminate all the data on three large partitions to
> make way for two Debian based distros which apparently
> will not install to partitions already containing data.
>
> Some time ago, I kept an email stating how this can be done
> but now cannot find it.
>
> Will someone kindly let me know how to do this.

fdisk /dev/thedrivecontainingthepartitions (probably hda for the first IDE disk)

then press 'p' to list the partitions
then press 'd' to delete a partition , you will be prompted for the partition number.
partition numbers start from 1 not 0 so make sure you select the right one.
then press 'w' to write the changes.

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk