[Gllug] SSH filesystem?

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Wed Sep 29 16:24:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:37 +0100, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Jan Kokoska <kokoskaj at seznam.cz> [040928 23:22]:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 09:55 +0100, Jack Bertram wrote:
> > > For some reason, I don't seem to be able to compile modules for my current
> > > kernel.  I think it may be because I compiled it with MODVERSIONS but have
> > > somehow lost the current kernel symbol thingies.
> >
> > You just need to make sure the version string will be exactly identical,
> > it doesn't do watermarking or any other proprietary magic ;) "uname -r"
> > or "modinfo module" tells you the exact version that you need to put
> > into the Makefile. This always worked for me, I am not very careful with
> > symbol table either, config file is the golden thing.
>
> As far as I can see, the Makefile is correct - but when I try to
> modprobe the compiled module, it just comes up with a load of unresolved
> symbols.

After you install the module you need to update symbol dependencies:
"depmod -e". "make modules_install" normally does this for you, but that
applies only to modules in kernel tree and assumes you want to replace
all of them with that small change, of course. There are probably
smarter ways to do it, but this Just Works(tm).

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk