[Gllug] Linux Sound APIs

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sun Apr 10 22:41:49 UTC 2005

> > Although when working with high power then make sure your cables can
> > deliver the power to your amps and the output from the amps to the
> > speakers. Note I'm talking about puttin ~1000 watts into a speaker.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Liam
>
>    We had plenty of difficulties placing three- or four- tube colour
> cameras
> in front of speaker stacks, and even modern broadcast cameras using three
> semiconductor chips bonded direct to the surface of an ice block will
> tremor
> when hit by the sounds produced by a stack of twenty or thirty speakers,
> each rated at a kilowatt. It can also be a pain for the cameraman. We have
> ear defenders and noise cancelling headphones, but the rest of the body
> can
> also vibrate. It is bad enough during a performance, but there is no
> absorbent mass of bodies in place during rehearsals.

The chips were probably moving in relation to the camera's optics - a remote
Pan/Tilt/Zoom system would allow the cameraman to be further away. I value
my hearing too much!

This reminds me of a fictitious group called Disaster Area whose instruments
were so loud that they were played remotely from a space ship orbiting a
different planet. Legend has it that their concerts were best listened to
from a concrete bunker in a different continent. Apparently they were banned
from several worlds because their PA system exceeded Strategic Arms
Limitation Agreements in place in various galaxies.

More seriously, I was invited recently to a demonstration of some new
speakers by B&W. I was very impressed, then I found out that I was listening
to £ 18,000 worth of speakers and £ 50,000 worth of Naim Amplifiers. With CD
players and turntables and so on there was almost £ 100 K's worth of gear
there. (I'll have two please!) I ended up picking holes in the mix and
recording of the pieces we were listening to. I know of few music studios so
well equipped. Now where did I leave that £100K?

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk