[Gllug] Linux Sound APIs

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 07:43:52 UTC 2005

On 10 Apr 2005, at 23:41, Ken Smith wrote:

> More seriously, I was invited recently to a demonstration of some new
> speakers by B&W. I was very impressed, then I found out that I was
> listening
> to £ 18,000 worth of speakers and £ 50,000 worth of Naim Amplifiers.
> With CD
> players and turntables and so on there was almost £ 100 K's worth of
> gear
> there. (I'll have two please!) I ended up picking holes in the mix and
> recording of the pieces we were listening to.

Exactly as you should be doing with that level of kit. At the Bristol
show a couple of years back Arcam were demoing their, then soon to be
released, FMJ P7 7 channel amp with their top end CD player - Not quite
in the league of the Naim when it came to price but a nice few thousand
pounds worth of kit. The difference between their mid range CD and Amp
when used with the same (B&W Again) speakers was amazing and there were
elements of the music I'd not heard in the previous playing! If only I
could afford more than their entry level AV Receiver.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk