[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:05:33 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 9:15 PM, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> As a new user of Debian, I never managed to work out how to drive
> dselect.  I just tried it again now and I still can't fathom it.  Its UI
> is arcane in the extreme.  Far, far easier to use apt-get and friends
> than solve dselect.

When I first tried Debian, many years ago, I found dselect highly
unintuitive and poorly documented.  When I returned to using Debian I
was delighted not to have to use it, since the apt tools are so
comprehensive.  It may be the case that dselect offers a degree of
power that apt doesn't offer, and if that were the case and I found an
occasion calling for that power, I might be prepared to try using it
again.  Until such a time I shall continue to steer well clear of it,
and my instinct is that new users would similarly be best advised to
do likewise.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk