[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Thu Apr 28 16:50:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:15:52PM +0100, Anthony Newman wrote:

> Is this a roundabout way of saying Python is more understandable because
> it's more verbose?

Yep, that's about the sum of it.

> So why not write in C?

I do.  Even my Java decompiler was written in C. :-)

> Do you read a red-top or black-top daily newspaper? The only reason I
> ask is that the former might be accused of using a *ahem* less wide
> vocabulary in  order to be ostensibly accessible to a wider audience,
> but that the result is less representative of the underlying facts, and
> potentially less elegant.

I like this analogy, but I think it's a little flawed in that syntax is not
equivalent to vocabulary.  You could say it would be better to restrict a
natural language's syntax and enlarge its vocab than to enlarge its syntax
and (potentially be able to) reduce its vocabulary.  Ask any student of
English and they will tell you that English is difficult to learn/read
because there are so many different ways to say the same thing.  Why not use
a simpler language? :-/

> [OO is not necessarily a good thing]

Agreed.

Pete