dselect (was:Re: [Gllug] Debian Matching Machines)

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 20 19:49:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:28:42AM +0100, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> >I think the "dselect sucks" FUD is partly a hangover from Debian <2.2
> >[potato] when it was a more painful, less helpful app to use,
>
> Well, I'm not quite sure I agree. I have been using Debian for about 8
> years now - on various machines, not just one homebrew machine, but a few
> company servers, colocation boxes, my own desktop machine, and a number of
> laptops.
>
> I think that Debian has been a great choice, but I still think that
> dselect is an abomination to use - it has improved in a few ways, but I
> still think that dselect is the Achilles' heel of Debian.

I have never shown dselect to most of the people that I have introduced to
debian over the years. I find that aptitude is alot nicer to use,

as said before, dselect seems to have very poor consistancy of conventions
(if indeed that is a phrase) when it comes to inputs.

I still find that the debian installers mostly just require you to press enter
to get a functional machine in most desktop cases (even my previous laptop).

why cant dselect take a leaf from the kernel menuconfig app, ie, just one
column for status but with more symbols,

maybe like so:-

 [=] = installed and up-to-date
 [ ] = not installed
 [+] = installed, update availible

 [x] = selected for install
 [*] = selected for upgrade
 [-] = selected for removal

stuff indirectly selected could also be done in inverse video or bold,

.. \end{2pworth}

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk