dselect (was:Re: [Gllug] Debian Matching Machines)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Apr 21 10:57:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 08:49:10PM +0100, Ian wrote:
> why cant dselect take a leaf from the kernel menuconfig app, ie, just one
> column for status but with more symbols,

Because it is showing four separate and significant data: error status,
if any, the actual state, the previous selection preference and the
current selection preference.  Trying to compress that into one symbol
would be insane and more confusing, not less.  Once you know what the
columns mean, it gives a lot of information at a glance.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick