[Gllug] Hosting my own domain(s)

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 07:01:48 UTC 2005

re: hosting your own domains
--

As I understand it, if you own a domain (should have a Nominet certificate
isued for it - at least lately!), Nominet are not fussed where their co.uk
top-level domain servers point to for the actual domain server(s).

However, in order to transfer control of a domain you need to get the
existing 'tag' holder for the domain to release it to you.  Nominet themselves
should be able to explain the procedure. You may find that the existing tag
holder will only release upon payment of a fee  - policy on this seems to vary.

Personally I prefer to have the ISP handle all the DNS stuff; they have
redundant DNS servers and loads more bandwidth.

There is no requirement, AFAIK, by Nominet for the machines that run a domains
DNS to run anything else!   I believe ISP's DNS server machines generally
do nothing else.

Open for other with greater knowledge to confirm/contradict of course !

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk