[Gllug] Hosting my own domain(s)

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Apr 7 07:26:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 00:08 +0100, Dylan wrote:

> I've got a handful of domains on various hosting accounts. What would be
> involved in hosting them myself?

Domain registration and domain hosting are two different things.

All uk domains are associated with a tag holder.  The tag holder is
usually the administrative contact for the domain, the domain remains
the property of the registrant, though.

Anyone can host DNS for a domain and it's the reponsibility of the tag
holder to ensure the DNS servers listed in the whois for the domain are
correct.

> Presumably, I would need to provide DNS for
> each domain, along with mail and any other services, but beyond that is
> anything necessary?

DNS and mail hosting are two seperate issues.  There's no requirement
for MX records to be present for a domain.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk