[Gllug] Linux Sound APIs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 14:49:18 UTC 2005

On Sun 10 Apr, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Saturday 09 Apr 2005 23:12, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > At that price it is possible to hear the difference in quality between two
> >  apparently identical connecting  cables.
>
> No it isn't!  If you want to enter into a subjectivist vs realist audio
> reproduction debate (by email), I'll happily point you at the right JAES
> papers.  Please don't promulgate such nonsense, or you'll be persuading
> readers to buy "speaker cable" (there's no such thing)!
>
> Chris

   The person involved used to be a full-time sound supervisor with a hobby
doing diving with underwater cameras. He left to turn his hobby into an
extremely well-paid profession. The person who purchased his old kit was
also a professional sound engineer, listened to a comparison between the old
and new kit, and was impressed by the difference. I worked with both people
for several years. As a professional engineer myself I am used to working
with expensive kit. Quad connected cable is standard, and semiconducting
sheathed cable often used for low level applications and microphones. Power
amps are sited with speakers where possible, but this can lead to other
problems due to interference and different earths, so where possible we
would supply mains power from a shared central feed. Sometimes we also had
to organise very high power PA systems, with critical control of quality
including frequency response. Quality assesment and comparison is done in
purpose-built listening rooms, with sound absorbing surfaces, thick pile
carpet, etc, and we are able to compare the original sounds live, direct,
with the reproduced sound, using a variety of different equipment options.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk