[Gllug] web server performance

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Apr 28 10:21:57 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
> Can anyone offer tips on monitoring web server performance ?
>
> I am helping to look after a small web server (apache/php/mysql) on a small box
> (64MB bytemark - running debian). It works well most of the time, nice & fast,
> but occasionally some users report very sluggish response. It is running at
> a couple of hits a second, the database part is very light.

If you've really only got 64MB then I reckon you are probably swapping
at times, which causes a massive performance hit.  It might be because
of webserver load (spiders can be an issue even for small sites) or it
might be because of other stuff running (with such a small amount of
memory, even firing up exim is going to wallop your swap).

Try running ab with a sensible concurrency, and watch vmstat.  If you
see a lot of activity in the si and so columns, then you might want to
reduce the number of apache or mysql processes you spawn.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk