[Gllug] web server performance

will will at willj.net
Thu Apr 28 10:18:20 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
> Can anyone offer tips on monitoring web server performance ?
>
> I am helping to look after a small web server (apache/php/mysql) on a small box
> (64MB bytemark - running debian). It works well most of the time, nice & fast,
> but occasionally some users report very sluggish response. It is running at
> a couple of hits a second, the database part is very light.
>
> Looking at the apache log doesn't really help since that shows when apache sent the
> reply to the browser - it does not show how long it took between when the request
> arrived and when the reply was sent.

I have a bytemark machine (also 64Mb) and I have seen a few periods of
lag in ssh sessions and slow loading web pages.  Whenever I have
contacted them about this they have indicated that another VM on the
host server was using excessive resources and they will do something
about it.  After this the problem does seem to go away.

The annoying thing about this is that they never seem to spot it
themselves.  Also, they have never managed to explain this:

http://amoto.co.uk/bytemark/graph.png

which I am pretty sure had nothing to do with anything I was doing on my
server. I suspect it might be the way load average is reported within my
VM having changed, but they couldn't confirm or deny this on any of the
times I spoke to them about it.

Other than that Bytemark are very good and have proved to a reliable
host, I would still recommend them.

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk