[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 15:41:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:59:25PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>    I tend to use apt-get to install things rather than dselect, I can't
> stand the gui in dselect.

The only time you use dselect's GUI is to make the original package
selections. I assume apt will set the selections too, so you could use
that if you wished (though using apt in favour of dselect is wrong and
evil :)

So, if you replace the first step with:

[ do whatever you need to do with apt to get machine1 into the state you
want it to be in ]

The following steps will probably still work, and you won't see the
dselect GUI.

On a side note, dselect gets quite a bit nicer if you do this:

echo expert >> /etc/dpkg/dselect.cfg

You lose a couple of help screens, and it makes it much slicker

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk