[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 14:02:40 UTC 2005

"Russell Howe" <rhowe at siksai.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:13:36PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>>    I have 3 debian computers which I would like to all have a matching
>> sets of installed debian packages, I think I ought to be able to do this
>> with dpkg --set-selection but I don't seam to be able to get it work
>> properly, Does anyone have any ideas.
>
> machine1 # dselect update select install
>
> [ make your selections, and check the system's working as expected ]
>
> machine1 $ dpkg --get-selections > selections
> machine1 $ scp selections machine2:
> machine1 $ scp selections machine3:
> machine2 # dpkg --set-selections < selections && dselect update install
> machine3 # dpkg --set-selections < selections && dselect update install
>
> Not tested, but it should work.

After consultation on this very list previously, here's the cr at ppy rules
I use in cfengine for that purpose:

copy:
	linux::
		/etc/cfengine/linux.installpackages
                      dest=/etc/cfengine/linux.installpackages
                      server=thoth type=checksum o=root
		/etc/cfengine/linux.!servers.installpackages
                      dest=/etc/cfengine/linux.!servers.installpackages
                      server=thoth type=checksum o=root
		/etc/cfengine/linux.workstations.installpackages
                      dest=/etc/cfengine/linux.workstations.installpackages
                      server=thoth type=checksum o=root

shellcommands:

	linux.installpackages::
		"/bin/cat /etc/cfengine/linux.installpackages| /usr/bin/dpkg --set-selections"

	linux.!servers.installpackages::
		"/bin/cat /etc/cfengine/linux.!servers.installpackages | /usr/bin/dpkg --set-selections"

	linux.workstations.installpackages::
		"/bin/cat /etc/cfengine/linux.workstations.installpackages | /usr/bin/dpkg --set-selections"

where servers and workstations are lists of machines, and
installpackages is passed to cfagent as an argument, and the
.installpackages files look like

kdebase install
openoffice.org install
mozilla-firefox install