[Gllug] Securing XP

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 13:30:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 14:16 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:13:39AM +0100, John wrote:
> > > This now adds the Security tab within the folder Properties interface and the
> > > Sharing tab of the root file system of a drive shows the available setting
> > > options. Sharing the root directory is probably a very bad idea.
> >
> > It seems to be shared by default (as C$) and Windows is very reluctant
> > to let you change it.
>
> Ordinarily, that share is only visible to domain administrators, so it
> is not so insecure as you are making out.

I didn't say anything about it being insecure - just commented on its
presence.

>   If it has wider permissions
> in this instance, that would normally indicate human intervention.

No, it seems to have the default permissions.

My comments about security related to the Shared Documents folder being
shared with write privileges for everyone by default.  However, I've
blocked that one now and checked that there aren't any more so I hope I
won't get a repeat of that.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk