[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Apr 20 09:07:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:15:46AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Nix writes:
>
> >I have it on good authority (he said his name was `Ian') that the
> >dselect UI is intuitive and simple. (As long as your first name starts
> >with the letter `I' and is three letters long, and your surname starts
> >with `J' and ends in `n', at least.)
>
> Well I pass on the three letters part, but you seem to have misspelled
> by name. I too find dselect to be an easy tool to use. It's one of the
> things I really liked about Debian.

Ditto. I think the thing that "most people" object to is that, like vi,
you need to read some documentation to have a clue how to use it, or
even how to quit. IIRC. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think the "dselect sucks" FUD is partly a hangover from Debian <2.2
[potato] when it was a more painful, less helpful app to use, and partly
just due to the large number of skriptkiddie children who expect Linux
to be as easy to install as Windows.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk