[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:00:49 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> wrote:

> Ditto. I think the thing that "most people" object to is that, like vi,
> you need to read some documentation to have a clue how to use it, or
> even how to quit. IIRC. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I can't speak for John, but at the time I first encountered dselect I
was a perfectly competent vi user, and was no stranger at all to
reading documentation and steep learning curves.  My experience with
dselect was nothing to do with being unwilling to learn - the
applicartion simply appeared to be badly designed, badly implemented,
badly documented, and highly unpleasant to use.

> I think the "dselect sucks" FUD is partly a hangover from Debian <2.2
> [potato] when it was a more painful, less helpful app to use...

This may be precisely the issue.  When I encountered dselect it was
certainly pre-potato, and I've not looked at it since.  I am sure it
has improved hugely - maybe I should give it a go?

> /joel

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk