[Gllug] Re: RAID on laptop or xfs?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 12:37:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 13:26 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> Backups are important but if you are running live online applications
> then so is uptime.  Drives and filesystems that recover quickly from
> accidental shutdown are important for that uptime; if you have to resort
> to your backups then their existence may protect you from total disaster
> but you are losing money every second you are done (and if restoring
> from backup is going to take hours or days, that's fairly disastrous).

To take that to an extreme, I was at a talk a couple of years ago given
by someone who'd dealt with airline reservation systems. They didn't do
backups at all. A cost/benefit analysis had been done which demonstrated
that in the length of time taken to restore the backups they would lose
so much money they;d go out of business, so there was no point. They
were *very* big on redundancy and replication though. I found their view
on a number of things quite fascinating.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk