[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 16:06:08 UTC 2005

On Friday, 29 Apr 2005, Anthony Newman wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>That said, some constructions involving $# are useful, but utterly
>>perverse to anyone who doesn't make regular use of them.
>Some constructions using the subtle nuances of Perl's list and scalar
>context are utterly perverse if you've never seen them before, but if
>you've never widely seen a language in use before, or don't make regular
>use of same, should you really be attempting to maintain, say,
>mission-critical code written using it without a good reference manual
>at your side?

No, of course not. But my point is that it is more likely you will
require that reference manual with Perl, because it's more likely that
you won't be familiar with any given construct even though you are a
competent Perl programmer, as compared to a language like C where
because of the paucity of constructs a competent programmer
essentially has to know them all.

Today is Aponoia, May.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk