[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Fri Apr 29 16:00:31 UTC 2005

David Damerell wrote:

> Well, the intention is to demonstrate the effect of push, which can
> hardly be done in terms of push.
>
> That said, some constructions involving $# are useful, but utterly
> perverse to anyone who doesn't make regular use of them.

Some constructions using the subtle nuances of Perl's list and scalar
context are utterly perverse if you've never seen them before, but if
you've never widely seen a language in use before, or don't make regular
use of same, should you really be attempting to maintain, say,
mission-critical code written using it without a good reference manual
at your side?

I have to say I'd use push() under this circumstance, because using $#
saves very little in the way of effort, and push is likely to do the
same thing predictably in future when my code becomes legacy material.

Ant

P.S.
      $array[++$#array] = $_ for @list;

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk