dselect (was:Re: [Gllug] Debian Matching Machines)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Wed Apr 20 10:28:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> I think the "dselect sucks" FUD is partly a hangover from Debian <2.2
> [potato] when it was a more painful, less helpful app to use,

Well, I'm not quite sure I agree. I have been using Debian for about 8
years now - on various machines, not just one homebrew machine, but a few
company servers, colocation boxes, my own desktop machine, and a number of
laptops.

I think that Debian has been a great choice, but I still think that
dselect is an abomination to use - it has improved in a few ways, but I
still think that dselect is the Achilles' heel of Debian.

Luckily, it's more than made up for by the presence of apt-get and the
huge number of good software packages available for debian (both in the
main trunk, as well as in independent apt repositories).

I've had a couple of brief glances at some other distributions (SuSE,
RedHat), but I don't think I'd switch for either of those.

   Benedikt

--
                     Gaudeo te illud de me rogavisse.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk