[Gllug] Hosting my own domain(s)

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 20:30:12 UTC 2005

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 10:46 +0100, John Edwards wrote:
>

>>That should be RFC 2142, of course.
>

> To my knowledge there's no RFC mandating the presence of MX records for
> a domain.  If there are no MX records then RFC2142 is moot.

I don't believe there is any such requirement, nor for the domain top A
record to point to a mail exchange. I dislike the behaviour of dropping
down to the domain A record in the absence of MXs, I think mail should
use MXs then give up, but that's just MHO.

Our company - not an ISP - has a large number of domains due to the
policy of our Corporate Communications department who seem to want just
about everything they can think of which looks remotely like our name in
.com, .org, .net, .info, .biz, .co.uk and .nl (we are an Anglo-Dutch
company - I managed to dissuade them from demanding the names in every
single country specific TLD which would have been unmanageable - I'd be
managing thousands of domains and DNS is only a small part of my job - I
told them they'd have to hire 2 more people:). They don't want to use
most of them, they just don't want anyone else to have them. I have a
policy that if we own a domain it should work[1], and that anyone typing
it into a web browser should get our official web site.

So most of these contain, apart from the mandatory SOA and NSs, only a
domain top A record and a "www" both pointing at a little Apache virtual
host which just does a client side redirect onto our published name in
.com. The published name does have MX records in .co.uk and .nl pointing
at our normal mail exchanges. These accept such mail for the standard
postmaster, hostmaster etc. and forward to the .com equivalents but
reject everything else with a "5xx - did you mean @<name>.com?" I put
this in because someone who was used to UK companies being in .co.uk
tried to email me at @<name>.co.uk and I figured he wouldn't be the only
one. The rest don't have MX records and the web server does not of
course accept mail, it's not allowed by the firewall anyway.

I consider this to be perfectly good behaviour. Does anyone disagree?

[1] The .nl registry has a policy of testing this. To host a .nl you
have to permit zone transfers to a very small range of addresses
specified by them, a /27 IIRC, so that they can vet your domains for
correctness. I don't know of any other registry which does this (but I
don't manage any .des:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk