[Gllug] Hosting my own domain(s)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 11:07:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:30:19AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 10:46 +0100, John Edwards wrote:
>
>> That should be RFC 2142, of course.
>
> To my knowledge there's no RFC mandating the presence of MX records for
> a domain.  If there are no MX records then RFC2142 is moot.
>
> Happy to be proved wrong, of couse :)

True, it does not require MX records for a domain in some
circumstances, eg a domain without any services running.

But if you run certain services then it does describe the email
addresses that should be used for problems with that service -
hostmaster for DNS, webmaster for web servers, etc.

As the original poster wanted to host DNS themselves, then they
will need a hostmaster address for the SOA record in DNS. This
could be in a different domain, but in this situation that would
be unlikely. For email delivery to a domain you either use MX
records, or fall back on A records (not a good idea).

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk