[Gllug] Some printer/printing problems

Wenceslao Requejo W.Requejo at westminster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 22:54:08 UTC 2005

Ok, this is a hard one...

Today , By mistake, wiped out my printer configuration, I've got a Canon
Pixma ip2000, for wich my mandrake 9.1 has no support, it was just
configured as another Canon model, but i cant remember wich. Anyway
after hours of triying i succesfully configured it as a canon BJC-7100,
and I got it working, but just on some applications.
It doesn't print on OpenOffice, but it does in Kwrite, or Kword
It doesn't print on Emacs, but it does on the command line (lp)
It doesn't print with firefox, moxilla..., but it does with konkeror

Basically it seems that works ok with the KDE applications, but no with
others...
What am i doing wrong,
I guess if the printer works propelly with some app, means that is a
compatible one, and doesn mean that i should choose another model, or
another controller...
this are the controllers I have for the BJC-7100
CUPS+GIMP-Print v4.2.5
GhostScript + bjc800
GhostScript+gimp-print   (this is the one i use, its the recomended)
GostScript+gimp-print-ijs

Do you think I should try and change the controller...

Another thing that worries me is that, I am currently using the Unix LPD
(generic printing system), not CUPS or LPR, if I choose to use CUPS in
the KDE configuration menu, all programs crash when triyin to print, a
mean those that I can print from now....

any ideas, please hel, I am desperate to make it work again...

Thanks a lot for your time....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk