[Gllug] Securing XP

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Apr 14 08:14:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:38:13PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
> >I believe that by default all shares with a $ appended to the name
> >become invisible as far as browsing is concerned - it should only be
> >full administrators that can access the share.
>
> That could be it. IIRC the account I used for Samba was an
> administrator.

Shame you didn't remember that earlier.  So it's not quite the security
disaster that was first shouted.  Not ideal - it's always had the
flavour of a real hack that they've never fixed because it's too deep in
the system.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.