[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 29 12:01:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:28:55PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> (I agree with Richard, of course: there's no need for more than a tiny
> set of primitives and a decent macro system. No, *not* CPP.)

If Perl, Python and PHP all suddenly ceased to exist and were replaced
by such a minimal beast, how long do you think it would be before a set
of standard macros coalesced, implementing a standard module interface?
Followed by the accretion of a standard library of modules and the
eventual emergence of a CPAN-like repository.  The fact that this hasn't
happened with some of the languages that most closely resemble what you
describe says more about the niches they inhabit and their user
communities than anything else.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"