[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 13:55:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Bruce Richardson yowled:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:28:55PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> (I agree with Richard, of course: there's no need for more than a tiny
>> set of primitives and a decent macro system. No, *not* CPP.)
>
> If Perl, Python and PHP all suddenly ceased to exist and were replaced
> by such a minimal beast, how long do you think it would be before a set
> of standard macros coalesced, implementing a standard module interface?

No time. The example I was referring to was Scheme, which has done just
that :)

> Followed by the accretion of a standard library of modules and the
> eventual emergence of a CPAN-like repository.  The fact that this hasn't
> happened with some of the languages that most closely resemble what you
> describe says more about the niches they inhabit and their user
> communities than anything else.

As in, their user communities are too small to build up critical mass:
yeah, I know. SRFIs really aren't a good replacement for CPAN...

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk