[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Apr 29 09:01:21 UTC 2005

Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Doug Winter said:
>>I'm intrigued - can you give me an example of your point?
>
> <http://perl.plover.com/yak/typing/>
>
> (Despite the title, this is mostly about ML, not Perl: it's just that
> it's targetted at Perl hackers :) )

OK, I agree, mostly, I think.  Strong Typing is a Good Thing, but Python
has that.  And this illustrates what I think I hate the most about perl:

http://perl.plover.com/yak/typing/samples/slide033.html

I'm not so sure about static compile-time type checking though - it
seems to make a lot of sense when you are dealing with primitives, but
when you start passing round objects (which you tend to) it gets very
messy.  Pythons Duck Typing seems to work much better there, in my
experience.

That said, there are times when it would be very good to be able to
enforce typing on function arguments, and this is coming up shortly in
Python too, from the sound of it, using decorators.

God, I really sound like a Python cheerleader.  I'm not a foaming at the
mouth python freak honest! :)

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk