[Gllug] OT re CD Drives.

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 16:53:05 UTC 2005

I have a CD/DVD player and a CD Writer on a basic Desktop
box, and always play Audio CDs from the player.

A couple of days ago, in Sarge and using workman I could
not play any audio CD and additionally I was unable to
access any data CD. The Writer worked normally.

I went into W2000 and found that any attempt to access
Drive F resulted in the error message 'please put a disc
in Drive F'. Drive E worked a normal.

After some investigations I concluded that the Drive was
unserviceable. Although I thought the Writer would not play
audio CDs I 'messed around' and suddenly a box appeared
in Real Player saying 'Drive E is not your default player -
do you want it to be?' I said 'yes' and Audio CDs played.

I bought a replacement CD/DVD player and installed it today,
taking the opportunity to clean the box at the same time
(I could have used Heracles' help there!!). When cleaning
I saw (and then remembered) that I had no connection from
the Writer to my sound card -a SB Live 5.1. So my first
query, how was I able to get the audio play -back?.

Now with everything boxed up again, I find the Player still
does not work and asks for the insertion of a Disk. (Wasted
money there!). The Writer works with data and 'sees' an
audio CD and plays it but without sound - naturally, I've
no idea how I 'fluked' or 'conned' it into giving out sound
before.

Both these CD Drives are on the second IDE channel, so I
can't believe a Mobo or cable problem accounts for the
difficulties.

Does anyone have any assistance to offer please?

I'd be grateful.			John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk