[Gllug] OT re CD Drives.

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Apr 21 17:04:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 Apr 2005 17:53 pm, john gennard wrote:
<SNIP>

> So my first
> query, how was I able to get the audio play -back?.

Some software cd players will read the cd as data and decode the audio
themselves for playback. In that instance, you don't need the audio
connection. Simpler players just tell the drive to "play" "stop" etc
and the drive does the audio and passes it to the sound card through
the audio connection.

<SNIP>
> Both these CD Drives are on the second IDE channel, so I
> can't believe a Mobo or cable problem accounts for the
> difficulties.

I'd try the new one as the master device alone on the IDE channel, and
also try a different cable. The connections between the ribbon and the
plug can be flaky, and one device can malfunction while the other works
fine.

Also, make sure you try various cds as some of those new "security
protected" ones will work fine in one drive but not another, or even
intermittently in the same drive.

Dylan
--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"